Thursday 13 September 2018

Liverpool news: Virgil van Dijk named as Premier League’s top by Watford star


VIRGIL VAN DIJK is the top defender in the Premier League

That is according to Watford striker Troy Deeney. Ever since joining Liverpool in January for £75million, Van Dijk has made a massive difference to the defence, which had been the weakness in Jurgen Klopp's side.

The Reds have not conceded a goal at Anfield since February and this season they have let in just 1  goal in 4 games.

In an interview with the BBC, Deeney was asked who is the most hard defender to play against in the Premier League at the moment and name-checked the Liverpool star.

He told the BBC: “I always think Van Dijk is the most excellent around. I said it this year; I said it last year.

“Because he is a nightmare for someone like me. He's 6feet 4inch, I think, and I'm just about 6feet. He is big, he is strong, he i's fast. He can play.

“And he doesn't bother, you know, getting physical as well, so if someone like me gets him it's a nightmare.

“I always believe before that I'm going to have to be playing the top of my career if I'm to get even anything out of him.”

Van Dijk will go into Liverpool’s clash with Tottenham this weekend on a high after thrashing the likes of Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mane and Joe Gomez to the club’s Player of the Month award for August.

He told the club’s official website: “Firstly, I want to say thank you very much to everybody who voted.

“It was a big month for all of us, so a big thanks to everybody who voted for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.